Friday, September 26, 2014

Historical bad-asses and fines for photos

Ever wonder what happens when a nerdy woman finds herself lost in the intricate labyrinth that is known as the internet? She finds new blogs, amateur journals, and websites that become thought provoking about her newest obsession -- hiking.

I stumbled upon the adventure journal that has pictures, historical bad-asses, and just news from all over regarding outdoor adventures. I was thinking that there had to be something out there for me to read and stay motivated!

The first article I saw was about a "historical bad-ass" by the name of Emma "Grandma" Gatewood, a woman who, in 1955, became the first female thru-hiker of the Appalachian Trail at the young age of 67 years old. This woman has already become one of my heroes and I only heard a small synopsis of her life.

http://c487397.r97.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/grandma-gatewood.jpg

You see, she wasn't a seasoned hiker. She just happened to see the Appalachian Trail through a National Geographic and just wanted to do it. She had limited supplies, foraged for food, and wore keds. She, also, walked the 2,000 miles of the Oregon Trail after missing the wagon train, bypassing the train and arriving to Oregon a week before it did. How awesome could this woman be?

I want to be like her. I want to be able to keep myself on the trail and in the backcountry as long as I possibly can. This means that I have to get my health under control, get into my training mode, and continue to enjoy my dates with Mother Nature.  Not only that, but one day, I'll be a thru-hiker on the Appalachian Trail.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000l0xrdkek2Io/s/750/750/Hoh-Rainforest-Photographer-Olympic-National-Park.jpg

Another topic that has been thought provoking was the idea that the US National Forest would fine $1500 for anyone taking pictures inside the park. They charge you for special permits and fine you with everything these days, so why not? I read a few outraged blogs, a few inane comments, and some just rather confused discussions, but I kept looking around to really understand what's going on.

I'm going to tell you the truth: I thought it was a hoax. Seriously, how can a National Park expect people not to take pictures of the beautiful scenery, the awe-inspiring mountains, the bio-diverse glade? However, in November, the USFS wanted to pass a rule that without a permit, no photos should be taken. Thankfully, it extended to the people of the press.

The outcry came from bloggers who use their photos on their sites. Are they commercial photographers at this point? If so, would I be fined for my photos? I doubt it. From what I understand, it was for the people who wanted to bring commercial crews and props, who had a higher potential to trample the understory of the forests, who would change the way something looks in a heartbeat in order to get the perfect picture.
http://www.greenhdwallpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/forest-background-9.jpg

I think that a permit is needed for commercial photography, some reassurance that they won't do something stupid. Not bloggers or tourists, but the people who want the perfect picture. Nature isn't perfect -- there's entropy. That's what makes nature such a great healer of hearts and minds, so beautiful to look at.

It may be the biologist and conservationist in me. Maybe, I'm just a hippie at heart. I think that we need to be as careful as we can regarding our protected wilderness. Not so strict that makes the parks hard to enjoy, but just make sure that people -- small groups to commercial tours are more cognizant of what their impact may be on the wilderness such as littering (pet peeve of mine) or walking off trail.

So here's to training to be a bad-ass in the outdoors and photographing the chaotic beauty of nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment