Wednesday, October 15, 2014

National Zoological Park (Washington, D.C.)

Sometimes the nine-year old wants to come out when I go on a walk or hike. Sometimes it is raining and I want to just twirl underneath the clouds, catching raindrops on my tongue, and singing like Gene Kelly. Sometimes, I am just wanting a kid-friendly venue where I can run around like a little banshee or learn something new, so I did both at the National Zoo in Washington, D.C.

The decision was made when I realized that I was going to spend the morning with a coworker after she got off of work in Woodley Park which is right there near the zoo. We had a wonderful breakfast at Tryst in Adams Morgan then walked back to Woodley park where we got sushi and plum wine for lunch at Tono's. We hung around a while at Tono before parting ways so that she can go to sleep before her next shift. I had the rest of the day to meander where ever I pleased.


It was drizzling as I walked up to the zoo entrance -- most of the families with small children were streaming out back to their cars. I seem to have the park to myself which is a rare treat. I first headed to the visitor center where I found the daily schedule. Unfortunately, I missed most of the ongoings of the zoo, except those that were cancelled due to the rain.

Due to the cool weather, animals who are normally seen lounging away, basking in the sun where more alive and playful. As I veered off the main walkway, Omlstead Way, I got to see the Cheetahs pacing around their enclosure, chasing each other  and climbing on tree stumps as they enjoyed the cooler air, purring loudly.





I continued to walk around the bend, towards the back half of the enclosures where the cheetahs were and, suddenly, I had come face-to-face with another cheetah who was pacing the back fence, trying to find another way into the inside enclosure. It grumbled and huffed as it made walked back and forth like a grumpy old man who was kicked out of his house by a cranky wife.



Continuing on the African side of the zoo, I met with a wild boar who ambled rather quickly through the exhibit, kicking up leaves and grass as it routed in the ground. It splashed itself with some water that ran along the ditch before the fence for onlookers then headed back up to explore other areas. It didn't even register that I was there, taking pictures and muttering about my camera's battery dying.


Next came the sleek gazelles who frolicked within their exhibit, freaking out the lone condor that perched itself on a stump. Some small children shrieked as the condor spread his wings and called out in a harsh squawk. I pondered how the zoo managed to keep the condor from riding the thermals and escaping, since the enclosure was open to the sky.




On the last exhibit for the smaller African animals, I saw a strange flightless bird with a hollow horn on top of its head. It squaring off with the small children who spoke loudly and shook the wired fence, probably hoping that those small fingers would get close enough to peck at. Another hornbill was playing with a large group of logs, stabbing them with its long beak and breaking chunks off.


The National Zoo, also, has a new exhibit; although, the enclosure is a little small for what it contains. Inside, were two American Bison -- two pure-bred females which has become quite rare due to the number of bison mating with cattle in the wild. They were beautiful, smaller than I expected. The volunteer, who watched every move for the behavioral sciencist, said that both were only about a year old, so they had plenty of time to grow. The zoo was very proud of the acquisition since the American Bison was the animal that was first given to the Smithsonian to establish a living museum of sorts back forty years ago.


I decided to go along the Asian Trail to see if I might be able to glimpse the giant pandas. They were not in their outdoor enclosure, a monstrous hilly exhibit that would probably make it hard for anyone to spot a giant panda, let alone the baby. I hoped that maybe they were inside due to the rain so headed in. There were signs stating that the inside enclosure would close at 4:30, so be prepared, on busy days, to get there no later than 2:30. Wow...for a panda.....



I, then, wandered off the Asian trail and headed towards the avian house. I am not the most bird loving of people, but I find some are graceful and majestic in their own way. There were two areas were you can walk into the enclosure and watch birds flit over your head. The more exotic birds and random ducks were in an inside enclosure that was rather humid with waterfalls and ponds. There was a giant macaw sitting against a wall, squawking loudly at the smaller birds who happen to be close-by. In another part of the avian section, I found a beautiful parrot and Woody the Woodpecker!!


I entered an outdoor avian exhibit where a grumpy peacock roamed freely and a crow rose the alarm due to intruders. Then, headed around the building to see the larger birds such as the flamingos, greater rheas, and emus. Leaving the avian area, I came face-to-face to the giant king vultures of Central and South America as well as a few owls.




I, later, crossed a footbridge that spanned over the Pachyderm exhibit and watched one of the female elephants lumbering around after finally being released to enjoy the sun. She was a beautiful, yet dangerous giant, her trunk swaying to and fro as she sniffed around her enclosure.


I, then, saw the wild cats. The lions were out, playing and sunbathing. The male roaring randomly at strangers as he basked in the sun. The sumarian tigers were still inactive, lazily sleeping under some vegetation in their enclosure while the snow leopard slept in a hammock in the trees. All the larger cats were magnificent, inspiring little kids and adults alike to stare at them in awe.








Random exhibits popped up along Olmstead Way such as the small mammal, reptile, and Amazonian exhibits. I peeped into a prairie dog enclosure, laughing at their watchful antics as they realized they have been caught red-handed. I conversed with a volunteer regarding the meerkats and marmosets as they bounced back and forth through their relatively small enclosure.


In the American Trail, I walked among closed exhibits with signs for wolves and sea otter. I never did find their new enclosures and I was slightly disappointed when I didn't get to see them. I passed the sloth bear exhibit as well as the black bear, but saw no one home. Suddenly, I happened about the sea lions and the pelican. One sea lion bark frequently, annoyed that the pelican was sharing its sun while another simply ignored both. A third was in the water, swimming in laps around a rock formation, enjoying the empty pool.



After the American Trail, I went to Amazonia where giant fish swam lazily within their aquarium and turtles paddle furiously as they maneuvered away from the glass-tapping children. An anaconda (or two) grasped a dead rabbit in its coils, waiting for the right moment to have its dinner. Another walk-in exhibit showed vegetation that grows in the Amazon with a surprise escape artist, a small monkey, sat hidden among the branches. Drops of manufactured rain would randomly drip from a leaf to land on a shoulder or head.






Lastly, at the bottom of Omstead way, I went to the farm yard. Unusually deserted, it sits in the back with the more mundane animals. One child, clinging at his mom, refused to go see the cows because it wasn't as cool as the other animals. I, personally, enjoyed the barn yard area, allowing nostalgia for the days when I volunteered as the barnyard zookeeper's aide in the Virginia Zoological Park. I reached over fences and lovingly pet the cows, alpaca, and goats while I talked to the zookeeper who thought that I may have missed my calling. Sometimes, I truly wonder.





I turned around, heading back to the entrance and to the metro, when I noticed that the last vestiges of summer and the beginnings of fall were mingling. I noticed bumble bees among the late summer flower, collecting nectar and buzzing away. I saw the leaves on trees changing to golden yellows and burnt oranges. I climbed the steep hill back on Olmstead Way, enjoying the cool air, when I saw an exhibit that I missed. I met the Przewalski's horse. the only true wild horse in the world. They were shorter than I had thought, but still built of the sleek lines and powerful muscles of our domesticated breeds.








I left the zoo, waving good-bye to to sculptured lion and my young self -- the little girl who dreamed about meeting tigers in the wild. I headed back to the metro station, my mind still stuck in state of nostalgia. The surprisingly blissful solitude ruined by the crush of work exhausted bodies heading home during rush hour. 



To be honest, I think a hike through the zoo was an amazing experience. I've been here before, but never during a time when it wasn't busy. I set a nice pace, had some hill work, and some interesting moments. I recommend that if anyone has lost touch of their young self to take a long walk among one of the top places a child loves to go. Get lost in watching a lion pride interact or watch a gigantic fish lazily swim back and forth. Learn something new or relearn something old. Play on kiddie exhibits, pretend to be a prairie dog. It will remind you of the time when you had no cares and maybe you'll forget about the ones you worry the most about for a few hours. Besides, it's free!  


No comments:

Post a Comment