Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Day 1: What did I get myself into?!

So it's the end of Day 1. First day. The beginning...and I am wondering what I am getting myself into. I  know that  I probably  drank and ate a bit too much yesterday, ringing in the new year. I will probably rue my decision for that last bit of chips and onion dip or vodka punch tomorrow, especially now that all I crave right now is my bed, a few chocolate bars, and a good book.

This morning, I dragged myself out of my bed and tried to drink black coffee, which is now not something I want to do regularly. Guess I am going to give up my coffee. Tea, perhaps? I felt okay, a little tired, but that's nothing new. I started to make my breakfast which is supposed to be a "morning mash" which is ground pork, apples, and cinnamon. I wanted to get rid of the ground pork that wouldn't be good if it waited around any later. Let's just say, that's not the best way to start off a new lifestyle. It was horrid. Looked pretty, but still wasn't something I would continue to eat. What really got me was that the whole meal felt like it was missing something that I couldn't put my finger on. Next time, I'm going to definitely going to use that pork in a frittata or something.


I was proud that I was able to get my "mise en place" while still foggy brained. Breakfast didn't take long to make because of it. I was a kitchen machine at 9 in the morning!


After barely eating my breakfast meal, I finished up the turkey stock that has been slow cooking in my crock-pot for almost 48 hours. It should be REALLY good, if what I hear about bone broth is correct. While I was cleaning up and dishing  the broth into tupperware, I, also, started the silky gingered zucchini soup that I am going to eat for breakfast, lunch, whenever. I was starting to feel kind of like a culinary genius at this point; however, I called my mom who stated that my baby sister  was dealing with some hardcore drama. I was starting to feel a little down because I could not go and have sympathy lunch with her at our favorite Mexican restaurant even though the soup came out great.


I decided after that to take a break and eat some of the soup. I had some dried chives and sesame seed oil that I put on top. Presentation is going to be key for this reset, I bet. 

Then, I wanted to make the chocolate chili that I have been blabbering about to everyone. It's a new concept and I love chili. I found comments about the chili that said that it tasted ten times better after it has set in the fridge for a few days, so I had planned on letting the ingredients mingle until Friday night (although it might actually be tomorrow instead). The look of it simmering made me proud of my culinary prowess again, so I just had to take a picture. 


I spent the rest of the day watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer with my Maw-maw while we talked about how the new year was going to be different than last year. She went more on a tirade, but it was still nice to just talk with her for a while. 

Dinner was my last thing in the kitchen. By this time, I'm craving chips or the salt water taffy that my boyfriend gave me for Christmas so I figured I should just make dinner and add a little sweet orange to perk me up. I made a beef and broccoli spinach salad thing with toasted sesame seeds, scallions from my little scallions growing in a vinaigrette bottle, and some coconut aminos. I added a squirt of fish sauce to boost the flavor. Let's just say, my Maw-maw, who is a surprisingly picky eater, gave it a B+! She thought it would taste even better with rice or lo mein noodles. Maybe I'll make a substitute next time. 



The rest of the night was spent watching more Buffy and cuddling with my animals. I am feeling more drained and still craving something sweet. I tried to knit or spin for a bit, but I lacked the energy. Is this the beginning of the "Hangover" stage or is it because of last night? I'm not sure, but I am still positive that I can do this. 

Now, I'm hoping that sleep with reach me quickly and tomorrow will be a new day. Wish me luck!!!

-- Yersinia

No comments:

Post a Comment